Street Shrines

Members of the Executive Committee of the Society joined forces with Members of Beverley Town Council in a project to restore several of the street memorials erected to commemorate volunteers to the lst World War, and to reinstate others that were recorded but had since disappeared. The project members spent many hours of work applying for funding, searching the records for details of  location, design and content, and the successful reinstatement of the memorials was completed by the unveiling of the Beckside memorial (illustrated), which was the first to be erected in 1916.

Beverley has six street shrines located in Beckside and Flemingate, St. Andrews Street and Flemingate north of the railway and Lurk Lane, Holme Church Lane, Grovehill Road and district and Norwood.  The Keldgate shrine is a metal plaque and there is a street shrine for Molescroft, now in Molescroft Pavilion.

BECOME A MEMBER - CONTACT US BELOW

DESIGN BY RAZOR EDGE DIGITAL  |  © BEVERLEY CIVIC SOCIETY 2015

Submitting Form...

The server encountered an error.

Form received.